About this Recipe
This is a delicious 1 pot healthy dinner. It can be made entirely on the stove-top, or after liquid comes to a boil, place covered Dutch oven into a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes. Check chicken for doneness (170 degrees internal temperature).
- 4 chicken drumsticks and 4 chicken thighs, bone in, skin removed
- 3 large carrots peeled and cut into half inch coins
- 1 large onion, chopped in large chunks
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 3 plum tomatoes chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 1 15 oz can chicken broth
- White or brown rice- 1 cup dry, cooked according to package directions.
Allergy note: This recipe is milk, egg, nut, soy and wheat free.
Step by Step Instructions
In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, coat bottom with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Brown chicken pieces on all sides. Remove from pan.
Remove most of oil from bottom of pot, saving any brown bits. Fry onion for 4 minutes til starts to soften.
Add carrots, tomatoes, garlic and peppers. Cook for 2 minutes. Add chicken broth and 2 bay leaves.
Add about ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper. Replace chicken into the pot. Bring to boil and cook for about 35 minutes until chicken is cooked and vegetables are soft.
Remove bay leaves. Serve over cooked rice.